I’m happy to make a resolution or goal any time of year, but even though New Year’s is a completely arbitrary date, it does close out the holiday season, and that makes it a perfect time to recommit to priorities. So even though I’m calling these “resolutions,” they’re really just a to-do list for the year. I don’t worry about how I’m going to commit to them; most of them are already in-progress, and if I do somehow get stuck on one or two, I can always change them later.
- Exercise 200+ minutes per week, including getting back to my favorite Step class at the gym, and joining Mommy and Me yoga
- Cut back on sugar by giving up dessert 6 days a week
- Write 2 drafts of BLIZZARD and prepare it to show my agent
- Write 1 personal essay or short story every month
- Submit to at least 6 publications or contests every month
- Write a second draft of Cadence, the YA novel I wrote for NaNoWriMo this year (if time)
- Finish the DIY MFA “Pixels to Platform” course
- Post on blog at least 5 times per month
- Edit my Facebook author page, and start promoting it
- Edit my website to show more of my writing credits and reading recommendations
- Start a newsletter (for reals this time)
- Promote other writers’ work on Twitter and comment on blogs every day
ALERT! I’d love for some Words From The Sowul readers to do either of these reading activities with me! Let me know if you sign up.
- Join the MMD (“Modern Mrs. Darcy”) book club and participate in the discussions
- Do the MMD 2017 reading challenge, “growth” track
- Sign Edwin up for swimming and piano lessons (spring/summer)
- Transition Edwin to Kindergarten (fall)
- Transition Eleanor to sleeping in her room (winter/spring) and eating solid food (summer)
- Go to church regularly; start Edwin’s religious education
- Keep in touch with my sister who’s moving cross-country
- Continue organization projects around the house
- Prepare and host yard sale (summer)
- Get back porch/deck repaired (summer)
In next week’s post, I’ll break down these resolutions to focus on my goals for Season 1 (January-March) and describe how I’ll accomplish them.
Anyone else want to share their New Year’s resolutions?
One Response to “2017 Resolutions”
- Tips For Achieving Daily Goals With An Unpredictable Schedule:: Leanne Sowul, Writer - […] 2017, as in any other year, there are many things I want to accomplish. Last week, I posted my…